History

In 1951 Schauderville experienced a shortage of schools in the community. This phenomenon gave birth to the first Preparatory School in the area which is now known as G. J. Louw Primary School.  The school was named in honour of the late inspector G. J. Louw.

  1. J. Louw officially opened its doors on 16 June 1951 with 11 educators on the staff and 440 learners. Since 1951 – 1963 the school functioned under the School Council of Port Elizabeth. From 1964 the Administration of Coloured affairs administered the school and then the House of Representatives followed. Today the school is under the flag of the Department of Education Eastern Cape.

Between 1951 and 1968 the school functioned as preparatory school and it accommodated only Sub A – Standard 1 classes. The children were then transferred to Dietrich Primary for further education. In 1969 the first standard -2 class was allowed and within a period of four years, it matured into a complete fully functioned Primary school.

Principals who steered the school for the last 69 years done a sterling job to uphold the respectable name of the school. They served the community with dignity and respect to secure a good relationship that is still evident today:

Mr. Miller – 1951 – 1980

Mr. Pretorius – 1981 – 1987

Mr. Goeda – 1987 – 2011

Mr. Marchman – 2012 – 2015

Mr. Erasmus – 2016

Over the years the school enjoyed many highlights on the sports field, in the classroom and on the stage that transformed a great deal of men and women who can claim their rightful places in society.

The main sporting codes that we practise since 1951 are rugby, soccer, tennis, netball, hockey and athletics.  Today develop our little ones who is eager to play for the mini cricket team. We also established a drum majorette squad who won many competitions and who performed for high profile citizens of the metro.

On the stage we enjoyed plays like “Pampoenkopland” written by Ria Wessels, “Die vuil seuntjie” produced by mrs J. L. Carolus and many others.

The motto of the school, (“Net die Beste”) “Only the best “, became a lifestyle amongst learners and teachers of then and now.